What does the word state mean? Definitions and usage examples of the word state. Example sentences with state.
1. A2 (noun) a part of a country that has the authority under one government
• There are six states in Australia.
• Los Angeles is a city in the State of California.
2. A2 (noun) a country or a nation
• Central Asian states
• Germany is a big state in Europe.
3. B1 (noun) the government of a country
• state-owned corporations
• He was dealing with matters of state.
4. B2 (noun) the particular condition that something or someone is in
• The car is in a poor state.
• They were in a state of panic.
• His state of health is not really good.
5. B1 (verb) to express something formally in speech or writing
• I am just stating the facts.
• The findings were clearly stated in the report.
• He was in a sad state.
• He was in no state to drive.
• She is in a worried state of mind.
• Adventure is a state of mind and spirit.
• Water exists in three states of matter.
• The room was in a state of disorder.
• Do you have to state the obvious?
• A state of emergency was declared tonight.
• New York State is almost as large as Greece.
• He refused to leave his home state of Arkansas.
• It is stated that the fire started in a cottage.
• In its current state, the house would be cheaper.
• There is a need for an improved living state.
• The state should invest more money in agriculture.
• The President stated he was going to resign.
• The minister has stated the progress of the project.
• The relations between the two states are improving.