What does the word back mean? Definitions and usage examples of the word back. Example sentences with back.
1. A1 (adverb) away from the front; in a direction behind you
• Can you step back?
• He stopped and looked back.
2. A1 (adverb) in, into, or towards a previous place, situation or condition
• I’ll be back next week.
• I got back an hour ago.
3. A1 (noun) the rear part of the body
• I was lying on my back.
• She stabbed him in the back.
4. A2 (adjective) at the back of something
• He opened the back door.
• My wallet was in the back pocket.
5. B2 (verb) to give support to someone or something, usually financially
• He backed me when I was jobless.
• The project was backed by the government.
• Sit back and relax.
• I can’t wait to get back home.
• I’ll get back to you shortly.
• I’ll be back in a moment.
• I’ll be back in a few minutes.
• I must go back to the office.
• I have a pain in my back (= back pain).
• I put my hands behind my back.
• She stood with her back to me.
• They sat in the back row of the cinema.
• We planted a few trees in our back garden.
• The soldiers moved back from the battlefield.
• I will back her up until she finds a job.
• She backed her allegation with evidence.
• Local residents are backing the campaign to save the forest.